Thursday, May 24, 2007

The broken pieces of faith

Feeling so faithless,my faith is now a shard of a broken glass.
The edges are sharp and jagged
The glass still shows me when I look at it,
My eyes are white balls of terror;
Of expressions that meander away to an undefined blankness
The sand so infertile that the cactus dies in it,
The vultures so ravenous that they feed on the dead cactus.
The gluttons of life,
They feed on the happiness of the soul.
The eye is only a mere witness
From the greens to the infinite deserts.
The horror of it leaves faith into the mouth of the carnivorous beast.

My faith is broken.
I sweep the broken pieces,searching no more for a reflection
However distorted and disturbed.
My floor is now clean.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! u never told me u write!!! i loved the last bit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, you have started writing, someone who always said,..i cant write i cant write...and this is so matured! You dont even need an editor! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm...although some other critics (although underage) found resemblances of your "Phantoms" poem with the Dementors, I think this "They feed on the happiness of the soul" has some close associations with the above mentioned creature.
    Few of the metaphors were really interesting. Starting from comparing your broken faiths to shattered pieces of glass, to the desert being so infertile, even by desrt standards, that cacti die on it, and the vultures feasting on the same (are you sure that reveals how ravenous they are, or does it delineate the condition of the desert-----incapable of nourishing EVEN the vultures ?)
    But when I come to think of it, it is not that depressing a poem also. Here, the poetess behaves in a way which is an anticlimax of how she normally does----sees the glass as half-empty rather than half-filled. She concludes by saying "My floor is now clean". I see it as a beginning of thinkinh positive. You may differ, but I think being numb is better than suffering from pain. The floor is better off being "clean" than being infiltrated with the broken pieces of the "glass". It is a tough job to clean up when such expensive and beloved "glasses" break, but the fact that your floor is clean at the end of the day, is what is important. Good job! That's why you need to be a cleanliness freak! (sorry for the facetious remark. Just couldn't help it).

    ReplyDelete